Simple mouth care can prevent infections. This quick video shows how to care for someone by giving them simple mouth care.
An early indication of bacteria in the mouth is bad breath. Saliva helps kill the bacteria that normally live in our mouths and prevents them from spreading.
If your immunity is low or your mouth is dry (for example when using oxygen or not drinking enough water) it is harder to kill those bacteria. So keeping the mouth moist is important.
Anyone can help- neighbours, friends, spouses, or children. But remember- you need to look after yourself and your own back. If a bed is low, kneel with one leg on the bed when you bed over the person so you protect yourself.
- Buy mouth swaps from the chemist.
- Open the packet and remove mouth swab
- Dip in a glass of water until it is moist
- Rub the swab around the mouth, teeth, gums, and tongue
- Swab the mouth 3 times a day
- Use lip balm three times a day for dry lips.
- Encourage drinking water to help with dry mouth.
Anyone can do it! Here are some more videos for you to watch with practical tips about how to care at home.
Touchstone Life Care believes with a small amount of solid knowledge and a little TLC, anyone can be a great carer.