Pressure Area Care & How to Prevent Pressure Sores
A person staying in bed for a long time is at high risk for developing a pressure injury.
This can be anything from a red area to a break in the skin.
Pressure sores can develop on heels, knees, coccyx, spine, shoulder blades, ears, elbows and any bony area.
If a bed is low you need to look after yourself and your own back. Kneel with one leg on the bed.
This video shows how to perform Pressure Area Care & How to Prevent Pressure Sores
- Put a pillow between their legs,
- Fold one patient’s arm over their body
- Place your hands on the patients on hips and shoulder blades and roll them away from you.
- Inspect the skin for redness or broken areas from foot, heel, knee, buttocks area, spines, shoulder blades ears and elbows.
- Roll the patient on to their back .
- Place your hands on the patient’s hip and shoulder blades and pull them towards you
- Inspect the other side of their body.
- Repeat every 3 hours in the day and night.